Tuesday, January 22, 2013

BCD Member Editorial: Mining

Gail Lando sent the following letter to Sen. Sheila Harsdorf and Rep. Severson:
I know that the mining bill is coming up for discussion tomorrow. I wish I could be in Madison at the hearings. I know how important jobs are for this area. I live here and I am part of a community of neighbors. But I have concerns that the residents of northwestern Wisconsin will not be the people who get the jobs. I am concerned about the lessening of environmental protections. All of us drink water and breathe air. In Minnesota the taconite industry dumped asbestos laden tailings into Lake Superior, contaminating the lake. Asbestos was spewed into the air and many miners were afflicted with cancer as a result. What safeguards does this bill put in place to prevent the mining companies from poisoning the air and water? The bill seems to lack mechanisms for citizen input concerning land use permits, and environmental concerns.
Please go slowly with the mining bill. The iron has been in the earth since the beginning of time and it is not going anywhere. I am not against mining, but I don't think that this bill is a good one. Please for the sake of the air breathers and water drinkers our region, vote no. 
Sincerely,
Gail Lando


If you would like to contact one of your elected officials, you can find their contact information here on our blog at the Contact Your Elected Officials page.

No comments:

Post a Comment